EDSP2 opening hours: Monday to Thursday - 9.00am/12.00pm – 2.00pm/4.00pm
The SP2 Doctoral School includes both the former "Social Sciences: society, health, decision” doctoral school (DS 303, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2) and the former "Political Science " doctoral school (DS 208, University of Bordeaux IV Montesquieu and Institut d'Etudes Politiques, Bordeaux), and also includes two research entities previously attached to the "Life and Health Sciences " doctoral school (DS 154, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2) : the "Epidemiology and Biostatistics" INSERM research Center 897 with its 7 teams and research units, and the "Pharmacoepidemiology" INSERM Unit 657.
This grouping aims at structuring and strengthening the links between social sciences, political science, humanities and public health. Our wish is to create a clear coherent structure based on cooperation and willingness to provide PhD students, teachers and researchers with the best working conditions and to facilitate their professional integration. The school’s aim is to develop a qualitatively and quantitatively powerful centre around society, politics, humanities and public health, based on the work of research teams and existing laboratories accredited in these disciplines, together with the active support of institutions.
Missions and priorities
The missions of doctoral schools are set out in the decree of August 7th 2006 on doctoral education. Its terms give them responsibility for organising doctoral training designed as “training by research, for research and innovation" and constituting "a professional research experience, culminating, after submission of the thesis, in the awarding of a doctor’s degree" (Article 1), and preparing doctors for professional integration (Article 2). The purpose of this "profoundly remodelled doctoral training in line with European guidelines" is "to ensure high-level training and better recognition of diplomas, both in the academic world and in industry and services". Doctoral schools are therefore “places offering structured doctoral training that contributes to their visibility and attractiveness on national, European and international levels."
Scientific research themes
List of disciplinary fields in SP2 Doctoral School
Sector 5: Biology, Medicine and Health
- Public Health: Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Informatics and Health
- Pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacovigilance
Sector 6: Human Sciences and Humanities (New Humanities)
- English studies, “Language for Special Purposes” option, language didactics
- Cognitive Sciences, Ergonomics
- Educational Sciences
- Sciences and Technology of Sports and Physical Activities
Sector 7: Social Sciences
- Political Sciences
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
Scientific Coherence and Research Themes
The thematic and theoretical perspectives that are central to the Doctoral School are part of a coherent interdisciplinary inter-institutional whole. For example:
- Comparative analysis of social and political changes
- Analysis of public policies and institutional analysis
- Political thought
- Issues related to health and public health such as access to care
- Disease/patient/drug interactions
- Education, cognition and transmission of knowledge
- International relations and international politics
- Statistical methodology and epidemiology in social and health sciences
- Evolution and determinants of health in Northern and Southern countries.